Skip to main content

Closer to Truth


I am recording some TV stuff for the Closer to Truth programme tomorrow, on consciousness, God and other stuff. Should be fun. I like Robert Kuhn and his show...

After that I am away in Switzerland hopefully climbing the Finsteraarhorn with some friends. Though this makes it look more exposed than I expected...

Comments

Jealous [even though I just returned from driving the Cabot Trail in the Cape Breton Highlands - put that on your bucket list]
Stephen Law said…
Cabot trail looks beautiful.
Peter Byrom said…
Have a great time! :-)
Anonymous said…
Sorry for this slightly off- topic, but I suppose newer posts have more of your attention than older, so here goes:
Ophelia Benson just posted a link that methinks is highly relevant to the "religion as intellectual black hole" -reflections.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=following-the-crowd

..And hope you have a nice trip.

I am soon to enter my annual role as predator in the Norwegian woods and mountains myself. (Grouse, black grouse and capercaillie).
Not the same staggering heights as the alps, but during an 8 hr day I cover quite a number of height meters.

Cassanders
In Cod we trust
Stephen Law said…
Thanks to you all... and for the link Cassanders.

Popular posts from this blog

The Evil God Challenge and the "classical" theist's response

On another blog, FideCogitActio, some theists of a "classical" stripe (that's to say, like Brian Davies, Edward Feser) are criticisng the Evil God Challenge (or I suppose, trying to show how it can be met, or sidestepped). The main post includes this: In book I, chapter 39 , Aquinas argues that “there cannot be evil in God” (in Deo non potest esse malum). Atheists like Law must face the fact that, if the words are to retain any sense, “God” simply cannot be “evil”. As my comments in the thread at Feser’s blog aimed to show, despite how much he mocks “the privation theory of evil,” Law himself cannot escape its logic: his entire argument requires that the world ought to appear less evil if it is to be taken as evidence of a good God. Even though he spurns the idea that evil is a privation of good, his account of an evil world is parasitic on a good ideal; this is no surprise, though, since all evil is parasitic on good ( SCG I, 11 ). Based on the conclusions of se...

EVIDENCE, MIRACLES AND THE EXISTENCE OF JESUS

(Published in Faith and Philosophy 2011. Volume 28, Issue 2, April 2011. Stephen Law. Pages 129-151) EVIDENCE, MIRACLES AND THE EXISTENCE OF JESUS Stephen Law Abstract The vast majority of Biblical historians believe there is evidence sufficient to place Jesus’ existence beyond reasonable doubt. Many believe the New Testament documents alone suffice firmly to establish Jesus as an actual, historical figure. I question these views. In particular, I argue (i) that the three most popular criteria by which various non-miraculous New Testament claims made about Jesus are supposedly corroborated are not sufficient, either singly or jointly, to place his existence beyond reasonable doubt, and (ii) that a prima facie plausible principle concerning how evidence should be assessed – a principle I call the contamination principle – entails that, given the large proportion of uncorroborated miracle claims made about Jesus in the New Testament documents, we should, in the absence of indepen...

Plantinga's Evolutionary Argument Against Naturalism refuted

Here's my central criticism of Plantinga's Evolutionary Argument Against Naturalism (EAAN). It's novel and was published in Analysis last year. Here's the gist. Plantinga argues that if naturalism and evolution are true, then semantic epiphenomenalism is very probably true - that's to say, the content of our beliefs does not causally impinge on our behaviour. And if semantic properties such as having such-and-such content or being true cannot causally impinge on behaviour, then they cannot be selected for by unguided evolution. Plantinga's argument requires, crucially, that there be no conceptual links between belief content and behaviour of a sort that it's actually very plausible to suppose exist (note that to suppose there are such conceptual links is not necessarily to suppose that content can be exhaustively captured in terms of behaviour or functional role, etc. in the way logical behaviourists or functionalists suppose). It turns o...