Skip to main content

Family event: Really, Really Big Questions with Stephen Law


KIDS EVENT AT CHELTENHAM FESTIVAL TOMORROW MORNING

Ever thought about what happened before the Big Bang? Or wondered what it is like to be a bat? Join top philosopher Stephen Law in this fun and thought-provoking introduction to philosophy and life’s important, weird and often unanswered questions.

Sunday 11 October 2009 at 10:00 am (45mins)
Event F4 at The Playhouse book online
£4
Age 9+

THIS RELATES TO MY NEW KIDS BOOKS (9+) OUT ON 5TH OCTOBER.

Comments

Steven Carr said…
Bats have consciousness ,do they?

I thought consciousness was something science could not access,and that only religion could explain why humans had consciousness and brute animals did not. (Basically the answer depended upon what flavour of religion you liked and had decided you were going to believe)



Once again we see science claiming that it can give us knowledge about things that were once the province of religion.
Naug said…
Animals are aware of themselves. Many of them can pass a mirror test to some degree of success. Primates usually score better.

I'm not sure what the religious explanation for consciousness is, I've never heard one, only that they're supposed to have it.
Unknown said…
Fantastic project! I wish someone had given me one of these when I was nine!

Sally

Popular posts from this blog

The Evil God Challenge and the "classical" theist's response

On another blog, FideCogitActio, some theists of a "classical" stripe (that's to say, like Brian Davies, Edward Feser) are criticisng the Evil God Challenge (or I suppose, trying to show how it can be met, or sidestepped). The main post includes this: In book I, chapter 39 , Aquinas argues that “there cannot be evil in God” (in Deo non potest esse malum). Atheists like Law must face the fact that, if the words are to retain any sense, “God” simply cannot be “evil”. As my comments in the thread at Feser’s blog aimed to show, despite how much he mocks “the privation theory of evil,” Law himself cannot escape its logic: his entire argument requires that the world ought to appear less evil if it is to be taken as evidence of a good God. Even though he spurns the idea that evil is a privation of good, his account of an evil world is parasitic on a good ideal; this is no surprise, though, since all evil is parasitic on good ( SCG I, 11 ). Based on the conclusions of se...

EVIDENCE, MIRACLES AND THE EXISTENCE OF JESUS

(Published in Faith and Philosophy 2011. Volume 28, Issue 2, April 2011. Stephen Law. Pages 129-151) EVIDENCE, MIRACLES AND THE EXISTENCE OF JESUS Stephen Law Abstract The vast majority of Biblical historians believe there is evidence sufficient to place Jesus’ existence beyond reasonable doubt. Many believe the New Testament documents alone suffice firmly to establish Jesus as an actual, historical figure. I question these views. In particular, I argue (i) that the three most popular criteria by which various non-miraculous New Testament claims made about Jesus are supposedly corroborated are not sufficient, either singly or jointly, to place his existence beyond reasonable doubt, and (ii) that a prima facie plausible principle concerning how evidence should be assessed – a principle I call the contamination principle – entails that, given the large proportion of uncorroborated miracle claims made about Jesus in the New Testament documents, we should, in the absence of indepen...

Plantinga's Evolutionary Argument Against Naturalism refuted

Here's my central criticism of Plantinga's Evolutionary Argument Against Naturalism (EAAN). It's novel and was published in Analysis last year. Here's the gist. Plantinga argues that if naturalism and evolution are true, then semantic epiphenomenalism is very probably true - that's to say, the content of our beliefs does not causally impinge on our behaviour. And if semantic properties such as having such-and-such content or being true cannot causally impinge on behaviour, then they cannot be selected for by unguided evolution. Plantinga's argument requires, crucially, that there be no conceptual links between belief content and behaviour of a sort that it's actually very plausible to suppose exist (note that to suppose there are such conceptual links is not necessarily to suppose that content can be exhaustively captured in terms of behaviour or functional role, etc. in the way logical behaviourists or functionalists suppose). It turns o...