Skip to main content

Plantinga Paper

My copy of Naturalism Defeated - essays on Plantinga's argument against evolutionary naturalism, finally got here. The paper by William Ramsey does make the same point as me in the paper I am writing, though in a much sketchier way. Interestingly, Plantinga responds at the end. So I'll redo the paper in light of this....

Comments

Tony Lloyd said…
Hi Stephen

I'm halfway through a piece analysing truthlikeness using the EAAN and your counterargument.

Naturally I need to refer to your counterargument. But you have "NOT TO BE COPIED OR REPRODUCED ELSEWHERE!" on the drafts.

Do quotations count as (partial) reproduction? Should I say something along the lines of "Stephen Law has the counter argument [summary of your counter argument]"?
Steven Carr said…
I still don't quite understand why Plantinga is not saying anything more than the framing problem.

Dennett on Framing Dennett writes '.. an intelligent
being learns from experience, and then uses what it has learned to guide expectation in the future.
Hume explained this in terms of habits of expectation, in effect. But how do the habits work?'

Plantinga claims '.... innumerable belief-desire pairs could account for a given behaviour...'

And then Plantinga seems to claim that the chance of generating true beliefs is going to be 1 divided by an innumerable number.

Your paper is about how those innumerable belief-desire pairs are unlikely to be relevant in anything like enough situations for them to be established by natural selection.

Which is fine and good, but perhaps I am missing how we come up with the correct belief-desire pair for novel situations, given the innumerable of possible belief-desire pairs that could be generated.

(Of course, we often don't and people do stupid things - see the Darwin awards for further details)

Is Dennett's paper relevant to this question of how we choose relevant beliefs from the massive number of true beliefs that we could generate in any given situation?

Popular posts from this blog

The Evil God Challenge and the "classical" theist's response

On another blog, FideCogitActio, some theists of a "classical" stripe (that's to say, like Brian Davies, Edward Feser) are criticisng the Evil God Challenge (or I suppose, trying to show how it can be met, or sidestepped). The main post includes this: In book I, chapter 39 , Aquinas argues that “there cannot be evil in God” (in Deo non potest esse malum). Atheists like Law must face the fact that, if the words are to retain any sense, “God” simply cannot be “evil”. As my comments in the thread at Feser’s blog aimed to show, despite how much he mocks “the privation theory of evil,” Law himself cannot escape its logic: his entire argument requires that the world ought to appear less evil if it is to be taken as evidence of a good God. Even though he spurns the idea that evil is a privation of good, his account of an evil world is parasitic on a good ideal; this is no surprise, though, since all evil is parasitic on good ( SCG I, 11 ). Based on the conclusions of se...

EVIDENCE, MIRACLES AND THE EXISTENCE OF JESUS

(Published in Faith and Philosophy 2011. Volume 28, Issue 2, April 2011. Stephen Law. Pages 129-151) EVIDENCE, MIRACLES AND THE EXISTENCE OF JESUS Stephen Law Abstract The vast majority of Biblical historians believe there is evidence sufficient to place Jesus’ existence beyond reasonable doubt. Many believe the New Testament documents alone suffice firmly to establish Jesus as an actual, historical figure. I question these views. In particular, I argue (i) that the three most popular criteria by which various non-miraculous New Testament claims made about Jesus are supposedly corroborated are not sufficient, either singly or jointly, to place his existence beyond reasonable doubt, and (ii) that a prima facie plausible principle concerning how evidence should be assessed – a principle I call the contamination principle – entails that, given the large proportion of uncorroborated miracle claims made about Jesus in the New Testament documents, we should, in the absence of indepen...

Plantinga's Evolutionary Argument Against Naturalism refuted

Here's my central criticism of Plantinga's Evolutionary Argument Against Naturalism (EAAN). It's novel and was published in Analysis last year. Here's the gist. Plantinga argues that if naturalism and evolution are true, then semantic epiphenomenalism is very probably true - that's to say, the content of our beliefs does not causally impinge on our behaviour. And if semantic properties such as having such-and-such content or being true cannot causally impinge on behaviour, then they cannot be selected for by unguided evolution. Plantinga's argument requires, crucially, that there be no conceptual links between belief content and behaviour of a sort that it's actually very plausible to suppose exist (note that to suppose there are such conceptual links is not necessarily to suppose that content can be exhaustively captured in terms of behaviour or functional role, etc. in the way logical behaviourists or functionalists suppose). It turns o...