Skip to main content

Don Cupitt interview


Interesting interview with Don Cupitt - who is a "non-realist" about God. "God doesn't exist apart from our faith in him".

I wonder what Rev Sam and others think?

I am considering asking Cupitt to participate in a CFI event.

Interview is here - thanks to philosophybites and Nigel Warburton.

Cupitt's classic book is The Sea of Faith.

Comments

I linked to this myself, with some brief comments, here.
David B. Ellis said…

a "non-realist" about God. "God doesn't exist apart from our faith in him".


Am I missing some subtlety of his position or isn't being a nonrealist about God the same as being an atheist?

I've read a few interviews with Cupitt and I liked much of what he said I just don't understand why he's unwilling to call himself an atheist---which he seems pretty clearly to be.
Kosh3 said…
He seems to be an anti-realist about scientific findings too, or so I tend to infer from his talk of truth as 'negotiated' and ever changing, temporary.
Paul P. Mealing said…
This is so similar to my own view: I will comment on it when I have more time - have to rush now.

Thanks Stephen, for the link.

Regards, Paul
Paul P. Mealing said…
In the intro, he touches on a number of things, including, I believe, issues with the zeitgeist, as Dawkins did, and how the world changes. His reference to how this affects science, I found a bit Kantian, though Stephen may disagree, in that we project our ideas onto our scientific interpretations. I tend to disagree with this, in that the universe ultimately dictates to us, which is why theories change. Even Newton’s theories are still ‘SUPERB’ to quote Penrose (his capitalisation); it’s just that developments in theory and technology have demonstrated that they are limited in application and I believe that applies to all scientific theories. Science always reveals more mysteries by answering existing ones, and, in that regard, I agree with Cupitt when he implies that scientific truths are always contingent.

I also agree with him that God is dependent on humans rather than the other way round, and I have been arguing that for a long time. The ‘evolution’ of God, in this sense, is possibly best captured by Karen Armstrong in The History of God – one of the best books on religion I’ve read. He talks about God being an ideal, whereas I think it’s a personal ideal. It has always been obvious to me that everyone’s idea of God is different, amongst believers, though Cupitt actually falls short of saying that. It was obvious to me from an early age that God is an internal experience, and even Augustine makes that allusion in some of his discourse. I still think one can believe that without being an atheist. It’s just a question of what you think God is? I think it’s something very personal, that can’t be explained, and, yes, it could be a projection as Feuerbach once said. I also agree, as I’ve contended many times, that it’s not important whether you believe in a god or not, but that you be governed in your actions and attitudes, by their direct and indirect impact on humanity, or your 'belief in life', as Cupitt puts it.

I also thought that the interviewer(s) (Edmonds or Warburton or both?) asked really good questions.

Regards, Paul.
Dear Paul,

The interviewer was me (Nigel Warburton). David Edmonds does the introductions. I'm glad you liked the questions!

Best wishes,
Nigel

Popular posts from this blog

The Evil God Challenge and the "classical" theist's response

On another blog, FideCogitActio, some theists of a "classical" stripe (that's to say, like Brian Davies, Edward Feser) are criticisng the Evil God Challenge (or I suppose, trying to show how it can be met, or sidestepped). The main post includes this: In book I, chapter 39 , Aquinas argues that “there cannot be evil in God” (in Deo non potest esse malum). Atheists like Law must face the fact that, if the words are to retain any sense, “God” simply cannot be “evil”. As my comments in the thread at Feser’s blog aimed to show, despite how much he mocks “the privation theory of evil,” Law himself cannot escape its logic: his entire argument requires that the world ought to appear less evil if it is to be taken as evidence of a good God. Even though he spurns the idea that evil is a privation of good, his account of an evil world is parasitic on a good ideal; this is no surprise, though, since all evil is parasitic on good ( SCG I, 11 ). Based on the conclusions of se...

EVIDENCE, MIRACLES AND THE EXISTENCE OF JESUS

(Published in Faith and Philosophy 2011. Volume 28, Issue 2, April 2011. Stephen Law. Pages 129-151) EVIDENCE, MIRACLES AND THE EXISTENCE OF JESUS Stephen Law Abstract The vast majority of Biblical historians believe there is evidence sufficient to place Jesus’ existence beyond reasonable doubt. Many believe the New Testament documents alone suffice firmly to establish Jesus as an actual, historical figure. I question these views. In particular, I argue (i) that the three most popular criteria by which various non-miraculous New Testament claims made about Jesus are supposedly corroborated are not sufficient, either singly or jointly, to place his existence beyond reasonable doubt, and (ii) that a prima facie plausible principle concerning how evidence should be assessed – a principle I call the contamination principle – entails that, given the large proportion of uncorroborated miracle claims made about Jesus in the New Testament documents, we should, in the absence of indepen...

Plantinga's Evolutionary Argument Against Naturalism refuted

Here's my central criticism of Plantinga's Evolutionary Argument Against Naturalism (EAAN). It's novel and was published in Analysis last year. Here's the gist. Plantinga argues that if naturalism and evolution are true, then semantic epiphenomenalism is very probably true - that's to say, the content of our beliefs does not causally impinge on our behaviour. And if semantic properties such as having such-and-such content or being true cannot causally impinge on behaviour, then they cannot be selected for by unguided evolution. Plantinga's argument requires, crucially, that there be no conceptual links between belief content and behaviour of a sort that it's actually very plausible to suppose exist (note that to suppose there are such conceptual links is not necessarily to suppose that content can be exhaustively captured in terms of behaviour or functional role, etc. in the way logical behaviourists or functionalists suppose). It turns o...