POST SCRIPT: Here are ideas I am currently playing with. Comments please.
1. LEAD EVENT: PUBLIC DEBATE: THE NEW ATHEISM. Perhaps with a certain well-known atheist and his nemesis. Not mentioning any names....
2. Course: Exploring the paranormal. 2hrs for one evening per week, over 5 weeks. Possible charge of £20. With leading parapsychologists.
3. Course: The Omega Course. (or Alpha plus course). an alternative to the Church of England's cultish Alpha Course.
3a. Course or event on how cults work.
4. EVENT: Psychic powers. Come along and see fantastic demonstrations of psychic ability! (Some of you may remember I did this for the launch of THINK with Tony Youens, and it was a lot of fun. Got lots of punters in. Many were clearly upset, but rather wiser, when the scams were subsequently revealed... I'm thinking Sally Morgan type thing).
5. Course. Psychology of Religion. There's some fabulous work being done in this area. we should get some of the leading researchers in from Oxford and elsewhere to explain their work (n.b. many are religious). Again, should we charge?
6. Science talks. Mind blowing talks from leading astrophysicists, etc. to popularize science.
7. Socials? CFI Amherst has mountain biking trips and white water rafting. Not sure if we can manage that.
NB courses are likely to be 5 weeks, one evening a week. That sound about right? Probably with different speaker each week. The downside to this is lack of continuity (course is very "bitty"). The upside is no speaker has to do more than one evening, so easier to get a commitment from the best speakers. (Also we may be able to avoid paying them!)
PPS: Help is going to be needed, especially re events, socials, etc. Anyone willing to give an hour here and there do please let me know.