Monday, May 30, 2016

Are safe spaces a threat to free speech?

Safe spaces?
Safe spaces are receiving a lot of discussion lately. Universities, for example, are encouraged to be, or to have, 'safe spaces' for students: places where students - particularly LGBT students - can feel safe from being persecuted, harassed, and so on.
However, 'safe spaces' are increasingly being a seen as a threat to free speech. For example, when Maryam Namazie, an ex-Muslim critic of Islam, spoke at Goldsmith's College University of London, her event was disrupted by some Muslim students who shouted 'Safe space!' - they believed that their University should protect them from such speech. Many, myself included, thought this was a ridiculous abuse of the concept of safe space.
So where does acceptable safe space end and unacceptable  threats to freedom of speech begin? Here are a few useful key distinctions.

Continues over at CFI blogs.


Randy said...

Thinking back to my university days, there was no "safe space". What I did was I just went there. Like a human going to university.

The closest we had was a campus gay group. That was even less "safe" for me, because I was some sort of freak for being in the sciences, instead of the woo.

Anonymous said...

This is why I have comment moderation (for the above comments).
I signed in anonymous in case they attack me.

Regards, Paul.