Sunday, July 24, 2016

Believing Bullshit and the Jeremy Corbyn narrative


As a Corbyn supporter I am now constantly, worriedly, checking my own thinking for confirmation bias, etc. regarding Corbyn - and I do catch myself on occasion accepting a claim uncritically, etc. (though notice that on twitter I just exposed a false claim made by Corbynites about some Corbyn critics).

Given the number of people pointing a finger at people like me and saying 'Your mind has been melded', 'You're in a cult', etc. I am now getting really, really cautious. It would be ironic indeed if, as author of a book titled 'Believing Bullshit', I had become enmeshed in and seduced by a bullshit narrative.

However, I do remain just gobsmacked at the (it seems to me) inability of smart, clever people to recognise the extraordinarily dubious nature of most of the claims made about Corbyn and his supporters.

P.S. I had a conversation with another Corbyn supporter about this last night, who came up to me and said: 'I keep thinking - am I going mad? Have I fallen into some sort of cult without realising it?'

P.P.S. one reason I keep banging on about Corbyn is that I am fascinated by the psychology of the situation - clearly some people are making *spectacularly* bad judgements given the available evidence. Which side (or sides) are doing so, and why? I do hope it's not me! 

3 comments:

Patty Green said...

Great post!

Allan Jones said...

172 out of 229 Labour MP's think Corbyn is not up to the job (no confidence vote). No previous Labour leader, in government or in opposition, would have stayed in his post with such a massive thumbs down. Labour MP's see him as a massive liability. Many of these MP's face de-selection for opposing a small Corbyn clique in parliament. He can't win. He's a middle class indulgence - "heirloom leftism". Sarah Ditum wrote about this in the New Statesman.


Jeremy Corbyn is a risk the middle-class can afford to take.

"But I want Labour to have power. I’ve spent too long now watching the class I belong to live on its own sense of moral rectitude, at the expense of the class I temporarily lived within. Corbyn's heritage, heirloom leftism is a luxury good – you can afford it if life under perpetual Tory government is something you can bear the cost of. And, like most retro pleasures you find at the farmers’ market, it’s a very modern version of the old: Corbyn’s Labour is a Labour movement for a world where labour has lost most of its former power. A Labour of the herbivores, headed up by a grammar-school boy, flanked by his Winchester-educated press-strategy man, still expecting the working classes to fall into grateful line. That’s an expectation that can no longer be relied on. I know I'm middle class now because Labour's failure doesn't hurt me"

Allan Jones said...

72 out of 229 Labour MP's think Corbyn is not up to the job (no confidence vote). No previous Labour leader, in government or in opposition, would have stayed in his post with such a massive thumbs down. Labour MP's see him as a massive liability. Many of these MP's face de-selection for opposing a small Corbyn clique in parliament. He can't win. He's a middle class indulgence - "heirloom leftism". Sarah Ditum wrote about this in the New Statesman.


Jeremy Corbyn is a risk the middle-class can afford to take.

"But I want Labour to have power. I’ve spent too long now watching the class I belong to live on its own sense of moral rectitude, at the expense of the class I temporarily lived within. Corbyn's heritage, heirloom leftism is a luxury good – you can afford it if life under perpetual Tory government is something you can bear the cost of. And, like most retro pleasures you find at the farmers’ market, it’s a very modern version of the old: Corbyn’s Labour is a Labour movement for a world where labour has lost most of its former power. A Labour of the herbivores, headed up by a grammar-school boy, flanked by his Winchester-educated press-strategy man, still expecting the working classes to fall into grateful line. That’s an expectation that can no longer be relied on. I know I'm middle class now because Labour's failure doesn't hurt me"